Thursday, September 22, 2016

September 22, 1916 - You have excellent taste in using your judgement of selection of all things.

Well as you can see now with a commitment to marriage the tone of his letters have changed. From these two letters, written the same day, I sense that she had not yet met his family but he seemed well acquainted with hers.


Friday noon
My darling,

I felt somewhat like the cat that swallowed the canary this morning, when I recalled what a lovely disposition you had, and I teasing all the time. I really didn't  intend to do it, but had been tired from a hard day's work, and you were so charming I couldn't resist the temptation. That's one of the multifarious reasons I love you.

That scarf pin is magnificent. My brother spotted it today and is delighted with it. He immediately called up Stella to tell her what an elegant pin I had received. The more I think of it, I believe I may have it set on a platinum ring for my little finger. What do you think? It is so brilliant and dainty in the sunlight that it merely corroborates my previous idea that you have excellent taste in using your judgement of selection of all things.

Doctor Rosen has gotten that letter for tomorrow and says the ring will be ready. Let's hope so. Notice the whole family is participating? Doctor was out autoing and took a spin to Stamford & so brought the letter.

My brother Charles may go to New York to a meeting and if so I'd like to have you meet him. He has a dinner engagement and returns on the midnight, but maybe we can get to him near six; I hope so.

I feel so good that I think I'll take a poor photo; good looking people never take good pictures. You know, so mine are bound to come out splendidly, and as usual yours will not suit you, but me - ah! that's different.
Lovingly,
Joe


Friday afternoon

My dear,

Special Bulletin #2

My mother - and soon yours too - has just called me up and said that while visiting Stella, she was told of the exquisite pin you gave me. And I have decided to keep it just as it is, because it is so dandy. Several fellows have remarked about it already. The more I see it, the better I like it - if that is possible, and I wish I could really tell you and your dear folks how delighted I was to receive it so unexpectedly. I can feebly thank them, but I know your capabilities and would appoint you as a committee on thanks to do it for me.

I've been tempted to write and couldn't resist so here you are. Tomorrow is a long way off isn't it dear? Good news - I may know tomorrow when I can take you here for a visit to get acquainted and that within a week or two. Some one said this will not be a severe winter. Great guns!

Your,
Joe

The next letter is September 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment