Thursday, September 29, 2016

September 29, 1916 - I can hardly wait for tomorrow to arrive

Here is the letter Joe sent Helen as she prepares to go out to Connecticut to meet his mother for the first time. He wants to make sure she gets the royal treatment on the train.


September 29,1916.
My darling:

I am enclosing ticket that you will use on your trip tomorrow, I tried, in the few seconds at my command last night to get a Parlor reservation, but it was too close to train time, and I didn't think I had time enough. So I think it would be best if you got one at the station yourself, and I am enclosing the wherewith, I am not certain whether on the fast train you are to take, the cost is the usual thirty five cents or a special rate that applies on some trains of one dollar, but give you the benefit of the doubt.

When I told my mother that you were to go back alone you should have been present to have heard what was said, I may stand in with your mother, but it looks to me that at this end, you have beaten me to it; for she simply said that this would never do, but that I should take you back to the City. She was willing to have me go down to get you also, but the former proposition rather agitated her.

That train will arrive here at 4:35, as I understand it, and I'll be at the depot to see you arrive.
I'11 probably write you later in the day, but have a num­ber of things to clear away at present.

The train ran in on time last night, and I had a real chance of getting some sleep.
I can hardly wait for tomorrow to arrive,especially the matinee session of the day. And to think that you will actually be here Sunday too.

Well,girlie,I hope that you have entirely recovered from that little blue spell that you had, The atmosphere was well charged yet it has passed away again,and by the morrow everything will be lovely.
Your,Joe

N.B. If you call at Grand Central Station at the Pullman window of New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. and give your name together with about 35 cents, you'll get the Pullman seat I've reserved for you from this end.

The next letter will be October 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment