Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Sepetmber 6, 1916 - Summer will be over - a shadowy memory.

This letter is an obvious follow up to the previous letter You will see that as you read about his weight. Things are starting to take shape in their relationship. This will be a busy September.



Wednesday the sixth

Helen dear,

I was more than surprised this morning to learn that you intended returning home so soon. Especially since you have been enjoying the rides so much, and receiving so many letters. Wont it feel rather strange when you take the "9:58 tomorrow morning." But your mother will not be surprised for you have just spoken to her on the phone.

I hope that you have completed packing your trunk, for it must be sent at once, and by Saturday, when you arrive home this "summer will be over - a shadowy memory." I'll bet you'll be glad to get home once again, to hear the old subway and see the Drive again, to say nothing of the Bus.

You probably think I'm out of my mind, eh? No, that is merely what I might have written last week; but since the letter you mailed last Friday only arrived late this afternoon, I couldn't answer it much sooner. Holy smokes, I'm not surprised at Nettie"s Passover card any more. I shall not be surprised sometime Thanksgiving to receive the letter you probably mailed yesterday.

By Jove, the mail man has just brought a letter from you, what do you think of that?

Yesterday, was a very busy day. Ans at night our lodge opened and naturally we had a big session. Today, in court all morning., and in the library with my brother to get up statistics for some campaign work. Tomorrow in court all day.

Somebody told me today I'm not fat. It was the elevator man in the City Hall, with whom I joke when I take a "lift," and he couldn't be convinced he was wrong. This cost me a couple of good cigars, because anybody who can seriously take his position and advance the arguments he did, is worth it. I brought him two of the best there "was" as he said.

Of course I didn't say anything about that ?*!+*!? train, that was almost an hour late in arriving. I haven't had time to read the Fra, but just in glancing at it, makes me think it's a good number. I'll read it on the way home tonight probably.

The phone just rang, and conveyed the cheerful information that the folks are waiting with their supper for me, so I'd better hike.

Do you recall the enclosures of your letter? I am herein enclosing a few like them, and if they seem too few, maybe I can scare up some more.

Your,
Joe

The next letter will be September 13

No comments:

Post a Comment