Sunday, October 30, 2016

October 30, 1916 - Shall I tell you all or a part of the nice things that I've been hearing . . .

Ending the busy month of October Joe's family and Helen's family have met. Joe certainly had a busy work schedule.


Monday afternoon about six.

My dear:

It is just about time to start for supper, and in view of what I'll tell you in a moment, you'11 see that this is a good time to write.

I have just returned from Court, having spent the whole day there on one case that had to be adjourned to Friday at two, because unfinished. And as I was thinking a minute ago that I should probably make arrangements to find time to go to New York tomorrow night, I received a card from Shelton that tomorrow night a special meeting has been called of our lodge, requiring my special attendance. Tomorrow morning I will argue the first case to be taken up by the Supreme Court, and that win probably take till one o'clock. In the afternoon, I think I'll take an hour's review of some reading matter and get some data for an address for the evening.

Wednesday morning two oases are assigned in the Court of Common Pleas before two different Judges, so that the prospects that at least one will be tried, and either of the two down on the list are good for the day. That evening, don't get peevish, I was informed this morning, has been set aside for a get together gathering of the candidates on our ticket to prepare for a large rally to be held, and I have been requested to come prepared with a few suggestions. The personal pronoun is getting so prominent in this letter that you'll think Teddy is writing to you, but you said you wanted me to tell you what I am doing this week.

Thursday morning I have a case set down in the Court of Common Pleas that will probably take the morning; and that night the Association of Credit men here hold their annual banquet at The Stratfield etc. By the way did I tell you that I was appointed a member of the National Committee on Legislation and also of the National Committee on the Investigation and Prosecution of certain classes of violations of the National Association of Credit Men?

Friday morning of course is devoted to the various Courts in making assignments and disposing of motions etc. and in the afternoon, the adjourned case of to-day to be resumed.

This is not an apology. It is a cold recital now of the week as I face it. And I look to the East with a smiling face, inspired by the fact that I know that you will too be very happy to hear it.
I'll finish this to-night after supper. So long temporarily

Here I am again. At this time I am enclosing a cartoon from your favorite paper, that undoubtedly will make that dimple of yours show itself as you smile. And perhaps the girls would enjoy it too.

I suppose you will say or think that I ought to have of all these appointments last night; but the only one that was set then was that for Thursday and of course that was not in the way at all. This would be a good time to put the proposition squarely up to you, what would you do under like conditions? Very naturally if I dared say that I might think of getting away Friday night, you’d simply laugh yourself to sleep over it, so that might better be left unsaid. Oh yes, somebody said that this was the last week before the election.

You might be interested-this to change the subject for a moment-to learn that Stella has collected either nearly or over $200.00 for Baby Day, as I understand it. And I have been informed that I was lucky to have handed over my dollar before Sunday; get me?

Shall I tell you all or a part of the nice things that I've been hearing to-day about the folks' trip to New York? Where shall I begin to start to open the commencement? Should it be with the nice things said of your dad, or the complimentary remarks about your mother, or the sweet things about Florence, the dainty comments on Lillie, the pleasant statements about Abe, or the lovely ravings about your­self? And would you be interested to know that the folks look for­ward to the nineteenth?

It would be fine if I could get away to see you some day this week; and perhaps after I've mailed this letter I may feel sorry that I told you of these plans so early; but as you said, you like to be kept informed all the time of what is going on. Still, you have seen how the last minute good seats can be obtained some times and so perhaps events may shape themselves to permit a little journey to the big City some afternoon. Oh boy, if that chance only gets within hailing distance.

The folks came back in record time, and were safely in bed at an extremely early hour considering the long trip.

This afternoon Barnet and the kidlets had a party, and you should have heard Myra tell about it. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that you should have seen her tell of it, for I could name every dish she fed her dress to.

And out of all this talk I haven't told you that I had a dandy time too. And just like a spring shower, when the sun comes out and drives away the clouds and the moisture has made the flowers smile and show their beauty, so you were last night. A motion has been made and seconded to cut out pinochle. The ayes have it.

With heap much love-a la Indian talk, I am
Your Joe

The next letter is November 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment