Sunday, October 16, 2016

October 16, 1916 - The fact that you have a cold bothered me today

Once Joe made the commitment to marriage he started to move fast to prepare for a life with his bride. He set out to look for a home and get everything in order. He always was a very organized man.


Monday afternoon

My sweetheart,

Can you guess the first thing I did this morning in Shelton? You are right, I looked up Mr. Keen and inquired about his inquiries regarding a habitat. There are three new single buildings just being constructed, in the South End - so called - but he thought they were sold as fast as they were commenced; tho he would make it a point to find out at once.

I have an appointment there tomorrow ans I'll try to look the situation over a little myself, to see what's what and why.

A rather fine gentleman here, saw me this afternoon, and congratulated me. He said that on his way out west last week he read about it in the New York Herald. He is a fine fellow just about my age. I guess he must have been jollying when he asked me if "she has any sisters like herself; for I'd like a girl that would suit your taste or a sister of such."

I consider that quite a compliment, yet modestly admit the truth of the allegation.

The fact that you have a cold bothered me today, for I couldn't tell whether you were getting over it. I wouldn't want you to suffer for anything in the world, nor would I want you ever to have an unpleasant moment.

That brief is in the printer's possession already and I expect proofs tomorrow.
I haven't had much time to figure out just how to entertain you when you arrive but maybe we'll run over to Stamford Sunday or Monday night, what say you? Naturally, we'll go to Shelton, too, and I'd just teem with joy, if something in the way of a house turned up meanwhile.

I'll see the kidlets tonight, and you know how happy that makes me. I do wish you were here too, to get in on the fun. Aren't you glad you will not go to the Palace next Sunday? But then, Polis is on the map. With four loads of love

I am your Joe

The next letter is October 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment