Tuesday, October 18, 2016

October 18, 1916 - The election is but a few weeks away and must receive some consideration.

It is fascinating how Joe's life 100 years ago was paralleling our life today - politically speaking.




Wednesday noon

My dear,

How did I laugh at those cartoons that you sent me. Still I don't quite know just on whom the laugh should be, if you try to reconcile Briggs and Goldberg. But one mystery is solved. Know what it is? We often wondered just why at this time Goldberg should be drawing engagement and marriage pictures, and mother-in-law stuff and all that. But the cat has jumped out of the bag. He is going to be or is already married.*

I had an idea that I'd be in New York this week, but no. Our Supreme Court convenes Tuesday and with several cases to argue, I thought I'd be fully prepared. And in addition, every night thus far I have been out doing very important fraternal work that simply had to be attended to at this time.
It doesn't make it so terrible, because you'll be here Friday afternoon, does it dear?

I'm working on that Shelton matter with full steam on, but the prosperity of New England has been the cause of everything being occupied. However, I have gotten good seats at 8:20, and an beginning to wonder whether that was any criterion.

Did I tell you that Barnet started in the public schools Monday morning? He did, and he is just delighted.

And of course you'll be glad to learn that Charles and Stella have gotten several nice patterns in silverware for our selections. So come prepared to make some choice, if any there be that meet your approval.

I have been unusually occupied with many matters outside of the profession. Besides the election is but a few weeks away and must receive some consideration.
But, you'll be here a day after tomorrow arriving 4:25. If you're downtown step in and get a Pullman seat. And you bet I'll be anxiously waiting. Another load of love.

Your
Joe

* Rube Goldberg married Irma Seeman on October 17, 1916.

The next letter is October 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment