Sunday, October 2, 2016

October 2, 1916 - I now know what real happiness is

Here is a nice long latter Joe wrote to Helen right after she traveled to Connecticut to meet his family.
His affections are beginning to be more visible.




Monday evening.
My darling:

To-night is very lonely. I have considerable to do at the office to prepare for tomorrow evening, but I cannot get it out of my mind that you were here only a few moments ago, and have gone back home. And as I write this very minute the Salva­tion Army is passing down below on the street trumpeting their discordant sounds, again recalling the incident when we passed them last night on Main Street.
Do you notice several erasures already? Well, my hands are trying to keep pace with the thoughts as they crowd themselves, and sometimes, like the railroad, I am several hours late at the terminals. Which reminds me to ask whether you arrived safely. Your letter in the morning undoubtedly will explain that. Of course, you are aware that you were in the presence of a honey­mooning party to New York. I am just a bit curious whether you gathered any statistics, or discovered any interesting incidents. I might add that the train to New Haven brought me in touch with a similar party, but the trip was too short, and the party too demon­strative in public, for me to narrate all that occurred.
As you may well imagine, the topic at the dinner table this evening related to one subject, or should I say person? Your ears must have been very itchy, if superstitions count for anything. It would have done your heart good to have heard the beautiful compliments passed regarding yourself.

And it will please you to know how anxious everybody here is to have the 21st get around so that you can return again to this town. Even Lucile asked where Aunt Helen went to, and Barnet wanted to know why you went home. As he put it “l thought she was goin to be with you, Uncle Joe, why did you send her away, so soon?" But Lucile saved the day by answering that you would come back very soon, next Ecksmas to her birfday.   Of course Myra was getting in a word edgeways occasionally too.

This letter must be a sight, the spaces are running into each other, the words are crowding themselves; but as I have told you I want to tell you so many things all at once that it is difficult to keep the machine in tow.

To-night I learned, upon my return from New Haven that the case set down in Court for tomorrow has been adjourned for a week, because several witnesses on the other side cannot get here, and counsel have requested a continuance.   That will leave the morning open for other things; and now I wish that you had stayed over so that you might get acclimated here.   However, the time is short when the Pageant will be on hand, and then you'll be here for a couple of days, nicht war? (not true)

Dear, I miss you so much. How I am looking forward for the arrival of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It certainly is a happy New Year for me, and as my friends here well say, I am a lucky fellow. I wish I had the clipping from the Telegram for to-night. There is always a good cartoon, especially the one about if we said what we thought, but we don't. I'm not interested in any part of it, except where the fellow says to his bachelor friend, upon learning of his engagement, that he always knew he was a lucky chap, that he was going to wait till he got the best there was, and he did. As the farmer would then express it, "them's my sentiments." And the thing that makes me all the more happy, and proud too, of you, is the fact that the folks invariably, are so much in love with you. You haven't any idea what a hold you have taken here, and how glad they were to find you just as you are.

But I must save some of the good things I heard for a more auspicious occasion.

My dear, I now know what real happiness is, for I am in love with a darling girl, who reciprocates it most affectionately. I don't dare start this topic here, for fear that I will commence a little journey to the home of a great lover. You know what I mean, don’t you? With lots of love and kisses, till Friday, when I can deliver them just the way you like them most,

I am
Your
Joe

The next letter is October 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment