Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October 26, 1916 - What do you think of the new stationary?

As you may have noticed Joe used the stationary from when his brother Meyer was alive up until today. He was not one to waste good paper and at that time it would have been thought of as a waste to throw away quality paper. Here is his new stationary that he must have been very proud of. It is also a bigger sheet. More room to write!


Thursday noon
My dear,

What do you think of the new stationary? You certainly are a bright girl. How quickly you discovered the change in tone last night.

It was due to the fact that in the midst of our pleasant chat, several people came into the office walked deliberately into my room and started all kinds of things.
I told you I had been retained as associate counsel, and that I came back to the office to examine the papers to familiarize myself with the facts, and that I had an appointment to meet the parties  and go over the situation.

Well, they landed just at the most inopportune time, and began "laying me out" because my wire had been busy, and they had tried to reach me on an important matter earlier and couldn't, and of course I had to be pleasant and listen to them while talking to you.

I'm glad that you didn't hear what I told them after I hung up, for butting in; but that didn't help you did it?

I've tried one case today, and am waiting to be reached in another. There are five still for me to try on this week's list, but will be lucky to dispose of two of them.

It's near two o'clock and I must return so wont bother to start a new sheet.
I'll write tonight, knowing then more about my engagements for the morrow.

Love to all, and of course to you.

Your,
Joe

The next letter is on October 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment