Tuesday, January 26, 2016

January 26, 1916 - The day has been one of mingled sweets and bitters.

This marks three years since I posted the first letter on the blog. It is always a reminder of the untimely death of Joe's younger brother Meyer. Here is a letter written on the train from Bridgeport to New London.


January 26th
Dear Helen,
As you can see by the paper, I am on route “somewhere in Connecticut,” as the war dispatches would phrase it. My immediate destination is New London, and if the train doesn't jar too much, perhaps a few lines will be legible.
This week started out as a very tame one, but it looks like a banquet tonight; and a musical tomorrow night. Last night, modesty prevents my telling the name of the fellow who was installed as President of Harmony Lodge and Club, and of course we had quite a time, as men can sometimes.
Just passing Fairhaven where I spent my days at school.
In ten minutes we'll pass Branford. That town means much to me and always will. My dear father and brother Meyer, are resting in eternal peace there; and today is the third anniversary of my brothers decease.
The day has been one of mingled sweets and bitters. This morning, Henry Saltman was successful in recovering a rather large judgment (over $8,000), and that made both him and me happy. Of course I was sorry that I couldn't join in, Butz' and Edith's “Little journey down Bway,” but was glad to hear the nice things that were said, though if present that wouldn't have occurred, and for this perhaps I might be sorry to.
I can't tell now just when I'll arrive at N.Y. on Friday, but I've an engagement at 2:30 and another at 4. After which I'll look up some tickets. It doesn't seem I'll arrive much before 2:15, and will probably take the train arriving at N.Y. then.
By the way, will the party or whatever technical name it enjoys, on Saturday be formal or what? Not that it matters, except in Florida one wears flannels, in contrast to furs used in Alaska. My cold received such a fine reception that it returned for a “return performance,” but it's slight and will take airy wings, I know.
I've got a ream of paper to wade through to become familiar with the exact details; and besides, the lurching and swaying of the train is making me cross-eyed while trying to follow what I say; and will probably make you dizzy when deciphering it.
The Porter is ready to announce “First call for dinner,” and not having had lunch, leaves no room for doubt where I may be found for the next half hour.
Sincerely,
Joe

The next letter will be February 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment