Wednesday, January 20, 2016

January 20, 1916 - Bill Nye's History of the United States

Here is a fun letter because it refers to "Bill Nye". This is obviously not the Bill Nye of today but in fact Edgar Wilson Nye aka Bill Nye.

January 20, 1916

Dear Helen,
I was very agreeably surprised yesterday afternoon when the letter carrier handed me a package, and my delight was unbounded when I found it was "Bill Nye".

You certainly have a memory yourself, for I imagine it was only casually that I mentioned the book that brought a fresh and peculiar atmosphere on American history, and added to the fact that it is a European book and rather rare, makes it all the more appreciable. I had been thinking of getting one; and now I've got it. Many thanks.

This week has been one of considerable "eats". Banquets actually every night. One more tonight; but fortunately none tomorrow and I decided not to attend Saturday's. Next week appears to be a very quiet New England style week, where I may retire at ten each night if I care to, to make up for lost time this week.
Barnet has just arrived for a moment, and it being near six, I'll take him home,

Sincerely,
Joe

This book that Helen sent Joe was written in 1894. Nye was the writer and the book was illustrated by Fred'k B Opper. I was actually able to get a copy in pdf from the Internet Archive.
 
Thought it would be fun for you to see some of the pages from the book.  Above is the front piece.


Here is the first of four pages from the Table of Contents.

A miscellaneous page from the book mentioning the Brooklyn Bridge.

His funny Appendix to this humorous book.

The next letter will be January 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment