Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 3, 1915 - Standing by the grave of that young soul . . .

So begins a very active letter writing year for Joe. I look at the stack of letters that I have carefully cataloged by date. Each letter, postcard and envelope now place in protective sleeves so the fragile paper does not fall apart. The articles are often a bit more delicate and I work to preserve them so I can publish articles that match up with the dates and letters on the blog. The pile of letters posted in the past two years is much shorter than what is to come.


Here is a photo to illustrate what I am facing.

 This gives an idea of the condition of the articles. I can not use all of them but will choose clippings that add some depth to the life of Joseph Shapiro.

Here is the first letter of 1916.



January 3,1916
I know that this letter is what you call curt. I have been at work till quite late to-night preparing for a jury trial tomorrow, and just before closing up the machine thought I'd drop you a line. Speaking of dropping a line reminds me to quote the peroration of my closing address, an idea, that I fished out of the ink pot a few moments ago, and took my brother by surprise. I might add that I make no comment now of the facts or names, because I am very tired,

"Counsel would excite your sympathy for this venerable defendant, He would even refer to his patriotism and to his valor. I do not complain of this; think as kindly as you may of him, and of his brave conduct in the days of yore. That is natural, and it is right. But, even in the matter of sympathy there is another side to this case. Take that mother there and her children, with the father bowed down in grief, and go to that lone and lonely kirkyard, and standing by the grave of that young soul fresh from God already given back to Him who gave it, there beside that grave, unmarked by stone or monument, unknown, unhonored, and unsung, standing by the grave of that baby killed by an automobile, in view of that great sorrow, there write your verdict and when you have done that, the demands of these broken hearts will have been stilled, and a lost soul mutely but partly atoned for,"

Still I have a hunch that the case would be settled ere I get started in the morning.
And my brother is plowing away preparing an argument for the Supreme Court in behalf of a man convicted of murder and sentenced to be hanged; which he is to deliver in the morning in Hartford.
By the way, I asked a friend to get me some seats for Leo. He sent me the enclosed as the best he could secure, and if they are agreeable, I expect to be in New York Saturday, and could go; but they are yours to await your doing with them as you see fit.

Sincerely,
Joe

* Peroration is the concluding part of a speech, typically intended to inspire enthusiasm in the audience.

 Two articles from this case will be posted on January 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment