Sunday, January 10, 2016

January 10, 1916 - A note to Barnet, Joe's nephew.

Here is one page of a letter that Joe wrote his nephew Barnet, oldest son of his brother Charles. Barnet was about five years old. As you can see Joe enjoyed his role as uncle and used his pen to communicate his playful stories.



January 10, 1916

Dear Barnet,

Grandma Shapiro told me that you visited her yesterday and had some fresh custard. And when I arrived last night, I went to the cubbard (cupboard) but found it was bare. What story does that remind you of?

I was in New York Saturday, and when I went into one of the toy stores, I saw a little boy sitting in a corner; he had a pie in his lap and was chewing a plumb. The man said he was a good boy.
Here is a photograph of Barnet with Helen on the front porch of Joe's mothers home. Cats and dogs were always favorites in their home.

The next letter will be on January 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment