Tuesday, February 2, 2016

February 2, 1916 - The train is as smooth as a taxi crossing a pile of lumber.

And so February begins with another letter written on the train. This time Joe was traveling to Hartford on business.



February 2, 1916
Dear Helen,
Am en route to Hartford, and from the program it doesn't seem that we'll have much time to ourselves once we begin at ten a.m. today.
It was very kind of you to be thoughtful enough of my work of last night to send a word about it in the morning. Tough my cold seems to cling and was very oppressive Sunday night so much that it interrupted my sleep and almost threatened to put me to bed Monday, it subsided yesterday and I was very fortunate last night in doing - as I was told by the boys - splendidly. Not a word slipped, and the air - as old Hubbard used to say - was filled with things needed for the occasion. It made me feel like a boy again.
The train is as smooth as a taxi crossing a pile of lumber, and writing is anything but convenient.
I expect to be in New York Friday afternoon, and will then be able to say definitely something about whether the 26th is an open date, for I haven't had a chance to communicate with some people whom I expected to see that day, but who probably could arrange for another time, unless they had already made other arrangements.
My cold is almost the same, and on my return home, I'm going to see a physician and go after it with a club. I've had about enough of it, and it's got to go.
I've got another address in my cabeza* that I must deliver this afternoon, then back to Bridgeport.
My, but this certainly is a rattling good train.
Sorry you didn't enjoy the concert.
Sincerely,
Joe
*cabeza is head in Spanish

The next letter will be tomorrow February 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment