Sunday, February 14, 2016

February 14, 1916 - We struck a blizzard and zero weather.

Well here we are 100 years later and we have zero weather. Thankfully we have no blizzard. There is no mention of Valentine's Day but I am not sure that they would have participated. Helen was off on a trip to Philadelphia and Atlantic City and he continued to correspond.





Monday Afternoon
Dear Helen,
Received your card and bulletin as well as letter and am glad to see that at last you have arrived in Atlantic City. I certainly so not envy the kind of weather you met, if ours here is a sample. We struck a blizzard and zero weather. Still you once said it would be a cold day when you got to Atlantic City, and you've guessed right.
I was just thinking about the invitation for March 4th. On Monday March 6 we hold a large charity ball here under the auspices of our club.
Naturally many important details are left for the last moment, or rather many matters come up the 11th hour that couldn't have been anticipated.
In justice to the Lodge and the Charity work, it's my duty to be here to assist in having things as successful as possible, and so couldn't very well get away that day.
Of course I'll take her (Edith's) tickets if she should send them; and just one chance in a million might be able to attend; but I wouldn't make any plans as present for that.
I don't know whether you'll have the opportunity , but Dr. Berkowitz of Temple Rodeph Shalom is a very brilliant speaker. He was the founder of the Jewish Chautauqua Society and I had the good luck to be associated in the work with for several years.
Your time, I know, is too valuable to spend on this letter.
Of course, you'll have a good time. That's what you went away for, isn't it?
Sincerely,
Joe

This short letter hols a good deal about the Jewish history of that time. There are links above if you choose to examine what Joe was speaking of with the Jewish Chautauqua Society.

Since I have Helen's date book from 1916 I decided to look and see what happens on March 4th and it looks like Joe made it to New York. See datebook below.
The next letter will be February 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment