Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28,1913 - This is a strange world.

One hundred years ago the news of this letter had a great impact on both Joe and Helen.


January 28, 1913
Dear Helen,
You can hardly conceive with what regret I am to tell you of the rather sudden death of my brother Meyer, which occurred early today.
I know that you are planning for February 16 and in my grief, I thought I should tell you as soon as convenient that I have canceled all my plans for the season.
This is a strange world. One day we laugh, the next weep bitter tears.
The boy was only twenty-four, and he graduated three years ago from Yale with the highest honors and had captured the prize for the best examinations. We are all of us sorely smitten, as you can readily appreciate.
I return to Bridgeport on Friday.
Sincerely,
Joseph G. Shapiro

1 comment:

  1. She lived at 545 West 111th Street - Alice lived there and we now are part owners of the building.
    Very strange

    ReplyDelete