Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 31, 1913 - I have an abiding faith . . .

As you can see the mail traveled fast. Letters were received and responded to in one day. Since mail was delivered three times a day there was a better chance that you could receive a letter the next day. Of course these letters were only going from Connecticut to New York City, one hour by train.
Below is Joe's response to Helen's note. His letter was written on traditional mourning stationary.


January thirty first
Dear Helen,
I have just received your letter of sympathy, for which please accept my deepest gratitude.

It is at such times that we realize that our friends are those who not only share our joys, but also our sorrows.

I have an abiding faith that the time will come when we shall know why we are tried, and why our love brings us joy as well as sorrow.

I also appreciate your kind invitation, and as soon as I can catch up with my work and get a little spare time and optimism, I shall take advantage of it.

Sincerely yours,
Joe

This ends the month of January 1913.

3 comments: