Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 30,1913 - My Sympathy

Here is one of the only letters that we have found that Helen wrote to Joe.
 Interesting envelope - I guess they knew where to find Joseph G. Shapiro.


New York City
January 30,1913
Dear Joseph,
I know that words are futile at such a time. They are, however, the only medium thru which I can express my sympathy.
I want you to know that I feel for you in your sorrow.
My plans for February sixteenth are a minor consideration. If you care to, we might spend the evening together at my home and let all the others go. It is you that I want to see and talk with.
If you come to N.Y.C. during the week forget the promise I made myself not to see anyone, except on Saturdays. I shall forget it in regard to you.
Your friend,
Helen Rosenstein


Here is a draft she wrote for her final note above. If you look closely you can see that she wrote on the back of the letter he had sent her which had the marking form the Taft Hotel stationary.

No comments:

Post a Comment