Tuesday, June 7, 2016

June 7, 10916 - Did you ever see such poor writing?

It seems that Joe's younger brother Louis was quite ill at the time of this letter. Having lost his brother Meyer at a young age I am sure that the entire family was very worried about Louis.


June 7, 1916
Dear Helen,
I spent Monday and part of yesterday in New Haven, and after seven members of the medical faculty looked over Louis, they decided that it was not necessary to operate at once and perhaps not at all. He is in the hospital being under constant care, and perhaps he'll pull through without a cut.
Naturally this has interfered with my peace of mind and the usual routine, so that I will not be able to get away tomorrow. In fact I've got a case to try in the morning, unless it goes off the list before hand.
My remote idea of going to New York Saturday is still remote, in fact I would have to return early in the evening to pack my things preparatory to going Sunday. So, under the circumstances, I don't put much faith in my being able to get away Saturday for any considerable time, much as I should like to. My present plans for the Pittsburgh trip are to leave here Sunday and stay over to Monday and then go on.
If things let up so that my brother feels much better, I'll feel more easy about getting away. I've got to go to Norwalk today, and it's pouring . Did you ever see such poor writing.
Sincerely,
Joe

The next letter is on June 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment