Wednesday, June 29, 2016

June 29, 1916 - I can enjoy the outside and balmy season.

Here is the last letter from June 1916. Joe is now keeping Helen up to date quite frequently.


June 29, 1916
My dear Helen,
     I have just received the parcel containing the two pieces of music; but have no bill.
     Yesterday morning found my eye terribly red almost to the point of the color of a strawberry. This time it pained, and the Doctor said it was the result of too much reading. I guess so. So I had to lay off a bit.
     However, today I addressed the Manufacturers Association and the Credit Men's Association at a dinner held in one of the local Clubs. Yesterday I did the same thing in New Haven; and preparing didn't help my eyes any. In being introduced - as well as in the letters to the members - the presiding officer remarked that the speaker today is one who though quite young, "has already had a long and honorable career in his profession." Coming from a man at the head of our largest institution here gave me a little bit of pleasure, you bet. So I launched into an Elbert Hubbard style of epigrammatic speaking and had a bully time. Enough of that. Still I knew you would be interested to hear what I did for the past few days.
     Saturday night I must attend a special charter meeting in Shelton that is very urgent. That deprives me of going to New York, so I'll leave Sunday morning at 8:24 arriving somewhere about 10 I presume; ready for Mt. Vernon, if you are going to your friends, as you planned.
     My eye is troubling though it's much better today, and will probably clear by Saturday. For that reason I have not read nor written much.
     Of late, I have read considerably at night. I took advantage of stormy nights to stay in a read, and have been up quite late. That now tells , but I'm glad it's pleasant, so that I can enjoy the outside and balmy season.
     Will write tomorrow, possibly,
     Sincerely
     Joe

In reference to the letter from June 27 in which Joe wrote of a piece of his writing appearing in The Fra I have located and purchased a copy and will be posting it as soon as I receive it.

The next letter will be July 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment