Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 31, 1916 - What is so rare as a day in June?

So we close out May 1916 with a short newsy letter from Joe.

May 31, 1916
Dear Helen,
I have seen all kinds of railroad service, but last night, it went beyond words for description. I didn't get into the house till a few minutes to four, and I had a nine o'clock assignment for today. I'll retire early tonight. I wouldn't have cared much, but something I ate, didn't agree and I was as sick as a pup, really. It acted like ptomaine poisoning, and nothing to be done till Bridgeport loomed up.
But as soon as I struck the town, I got busy and took something for it, and today feel as good as a two year old. I relished my breakfast and had a good luncheon, and am about to finish for the day.
The Pittsburgh folks have planned to give the delegates a trip to Gettysburg and to entertain there. Goodness only knows but what they'll arrange to have us stop at Harrisburg and Philadelphia for entertainment.
In answer to Longfellow's question, "What is so rare as a day in June?' I might say May 31, 1916.
Sincerely,
Joe

The next letter is June 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment