Sunday, November 27, 2016

November 27, 1916 - A strenuous day has already passed since I held you in my arms.

This is a two letter day. If you look at the postmark one was delivered at 3:30 P.M. and the next at 8:00 P.M.

The first letter is a very interesting letter from Joe because it talks about his travels home from New York and also he go off on a tangent about the equality of men and women. As women were starting to show their power he was including it in his letter writing.
The second was a handwritten note because he seems to be missing her very much.

Letter Number 1





Monday noon.
My darling:
That 12:00 o'clock last night was some baby. It was made up in six sections, the first five of which ran through as express for Boston making no stops en route, the last being the one for Bridgeport etc. With trains running under the block system of about ten minutes in between, you can imagine what time we arrived in this City. I landed in mother's house a few minutes before three o'clock, and sick as a dog too.

But I had engagements in Shelton, and so had the Big Ben ring at 6:15, which would allow me twenty minutes to dress, and eat and get out in time for the train. And wonder of wonders I made it.
I have just arrived, and find that Charles and the doctor have gone out to witness the launching of the new submarine, Miss Kelley having resigned Saturday, and Clara gone for lunch. Of course it is about one 9'clcck, and that is natural,
Just see what a little thing like taking one train for another means. Oh yes, it was so late that everybody was asleep, and by the time I rooted up a taxi, I found that he wanted $2.50; but what could be done. I walked to the Stratfield, but they are all sold out ages ago, not a room in sight, especially at the Ball game; so taxiing from your house to the station, then again from the station early this morning, made those extra few minutes talk at the Fox's rather expensible-as 'twere.

Reading the papers this morning about all kinds of subjects, especially about Mrs. Millholland-Boisssvain gave me a peculiar thought. Is woman the inferior sex? Is the male the more important, or are his duties and responsibilities the real ones of this life?
I did what you did after the sermon yesterday-thought. Isn't that strange? I thought of how the world was created, how God began with the single cells, created everything, at least according to Darwin the fish, the lobsters, the turtles, the birds, the donkeys, the elephants, monkey and finally man. And then the Sabbath and He rested. Then having experimented with all things and gained by the experience, if that is possible, He created woman. Not only was man created in His own image, but in addition woman was endowed with some of his attributes. Having created man, and rested, the new week still required a further effort; but when woman was created, He turned the power of creation over to her and gave her the privilege of carrying on His or creative work. And yet we poor men, try to understand woman, and account for her mysterious thoughts and ways, and wonder why we cannot.

Is there anything in that idea that flitted through my mind? I will admit it is a rather weary head to-day that sleep could do much for; but waking or asleep, I suppose we secondary creatures, if that be true, keep on thinking. You know the sketch in the Palace started it, as I told you.

I've taken a lot of time and space before asking how you felt to-day; but I am assuming that you have entirely recovered again. I really felt miserable last night; and perhaps that may account for my not raving over a real good dinner, as you might expect.

But there you were, shivering, and gulping big lumps down your threat, just anxious to have everybody let you alone; and still wanting to be as sociable as possible. That is real fortitude, but don't bank to much on it, dearie.

As is usual, you might have expected it, but this morning Mr. Kneen came into Court and informed me that a special meeting of the present officials of the Borough and City, together with the newly elected ones would be held Wednesday evening of this week, for the purpose of going over matters preparatory to the City taking over the affairs of government, and asked that I make it a point to be present. What can I do? I'll wait till tomorrow and see what progress is made ,and will write so that you may know exactly what to do for Thursday, for I haven't given up hope yet for Wednesday.

I cannot begin to imagine what could have been the matter with you. You seemed to be so far away from yourself, that you actually were no more like the Helen we all know than I am at present like Harry Le Gore of the Yale team. And then how perceptible it was that you were playing a very hard thinking part, for the thoughts could fair­ly be seen rushing through your mind, but not being a mind reader, it was like Greek to me. And then two minutes before I left, you returned, and like the rainbow after the storm, everything looked so beautiful and cheery again, that those two minutes were worth waiting an eternity for; but why the necessity of waiting.

I am going to take a few minutes to get some lunch, and then try to get some girl to take the vacant place, of the stenographer, of course.
With heaps of love, that still remains undaunted and as constant as ever,
I am Your
Joe

Letter Number 2




November 27, 1916
My dear Helen,
A strenuous day has already passed since I held you in my arms. But do you know that if I were to paraphrase a new song it would be "Turn back the Universe, and give me a day before yesterday".

We really have so many useful things to do in our little act upon the stage, it's a pity we sometimes waste part of that fretting over nothing. Just think how lucky we are. We are young, healthy, have everything we need, even if not everything we want, we have vision - as Dr. Wise puts it - and a bright future. Way more, our past is one that we may proudly gaze back upon as an incentive for better and nobler things, considering how fortunate we have been.

This is Thanksgiving wee. Let's be unusually happy in the thought that we are as we are, and if we have tears to shed and sympathy to give, let us use them for those poor stricken souls, who so richly deserve it through no fault of their own.

So why feel blue?
All right now that you are smiling; here's a good chance to laugh. I've felt like jumping on a train this afternoon to rush down to New York to see you,and for want of that, I wanted to keep continuously writing to you all day.

That shows you just where my heart is, dear. I am anxiously waiting for tomorrow, to read how happy you are and that the folks are enjoying good health.
With love and kisses.

Your, Joe

The next letter is November 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment