Wednesday, November 23, 2016

November 23, 1916 - Oh you gefilte fish.

Here is a fun letter Joe wrote Helen after the engagement party at her parents house. Glad to see that both sides are happy with this special couple.



November 23,1916.

Dearie:
This is really the first time this week that I have had an opportunity of sitting down to write to you as I would desire; yet it is almost six o'clock and Charles will be ready to leave for supper in a few minutes, and naturally will expect me to go along.

I have all your letters in my pocket and will categorically answer them later; but at present will rush on to say that I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll tell you all about it. I expect to take a train tomorrow afternoon around two o'clock arriving in New York around four o’clock, and at the end of this letter will scribble in the exact arriving time-after I've had it looked up.
This afternoon it has been pouting cats and dogs, and the evening looks as if it would be awful, in every sense of the word. It makes one feel like working because it is so dreary outside, that you do not care to get out at all. I spent the time drawing several wills for clients, and have already had them signed.

This morning I finished a case that was on trial for several days.
I have so many things that I want to tell you about, it is difficult to know just where to begin.

I will thank the senders of the telegrams to me later in the week, for very apparent reasons. You can tell Cousin Clara that her threat not to speak to us unless I accept her hospitality has had the desired effect, and that I shall not only accept but simply be tickled-shall I say skinny-to be able to live temporarily spasmodically on Riverside Drive-meaning thereby once a week or so. It is so good of her to open her house to me, and certainly shows a very loving disposition for you, because I know that whatever acts of kindness she is extending to me is solely because of her affection for you. If I am also included then I am still more glad.

You know the thing that impressed me more than any one other from your letters since the reception, when your family-so to speak had a chance to give me the once over-is the fact that you say they are pleased with your selection, and approve it. I always gave you credit for being very discriminating, and having refined tastes and am glad that they agree with me. And I am glad-Pollyanna-that the family seems to take to me or rather that we are all so congenial. That this is the case and more so with regards to your hold on my folks goes without my telling you. You have seen eviden­ces of it on more than one occasion already.

Your statement that you are booked for the next five Sundays listens good. That means that the Palace will lose two customers, but also that we are in it for a good time just the same. And whisper-little one-I am certain of five variegated sets of refreshments.

I am going to see you tomorrow. Oh you gefilte fish. Please oh please, when your friends insist that I have another portion, and like the hero of old, the more I plead to do so, the tighter you lash me to the figurative mast of declining. I commend my appetite to your keeping. May your conscience be your guide. With lots of love, and regards to the folks – I’m slipping,

I am Your Joe

I leave at 2:50 arriving at 4:21 P.M.

The next letter is November 27

No comments:

Post a Comment