Thursday, November 17, 2016

November 17, 1916 - Your voice has a warm penetrating radiance

This letter is from 2 days before the engagement party to be held at Helen's parents home in New York City.



Friday afternoon
My darling,
I have just returned from Court, and recall that I promised to write just when I anticipated going to New York.
Doctor and Nat go down in the machine early tomorrow morning (6:30) and with Gus and several others will go on to Princeton to the game. I could not accept their invitation to go, for many reasons. In the first place, Sunday, you know is of some importance, and we ought not be off getting all tired out and frozen form a long trip and exposure at the game. Then it breaks up the whole day Saturday and I expect to take next Friday afternoon and Saturday off for the Harvard game.
Now dearie, I'll be righ5t here till 4:10, then I'll leave for New York and arrive at 5:36. I don't want you to inconvenience yourself a particle for me , now, but if you're near Grand Central, your presence will make me happy. "That's all!"
I don't suppose you want to go to the theatre do you? Oh , no, heaven forbid. Still if you do, with Sunday impending, you had better make up your mind on the particular play, so that we can try for pasteboards early. We'll try for better seats than we had at "The Moosic Marster", and Getting Married.
You talked yesterday as if you were all tired out, or discusted. Generally your voice has a warm penetrating radiance, but yesterday - ooh - it was so Antarctic.
Senator-elect Charles Williamson told me today that he thought he would call on us Sunday. So did Mayor-elect Mr. Kneen.
With a new consignment of love, I am
Your,
Joe

The next letter is November 23

No comments:

Post a Comment