Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3, 1913 - "Three little love bees."

October 1913 brings a little more correspondence from Joe. This first letter was written to send good wishes for a Happy New Year (Rosh Hashana) which was celebrated on October 2, 1913.



October 3, 1913
My dear Helen,
I am very grateful for your kind New Year's wishes; and reciprocate them.
I would have sent you a card, but I haven't sent any for the last few years to anyone. I used to do it, but occasionally would forget someone, and then never heard the end of it. So I do not send out any. Sauve! or Compranez?

I regret that I could not stay over till tonight; but I must have caught cold in the storm Tuesday, for I felt very indisposed Wednesday night when I came to New York, and was rather out of sorts yesterday. For that reason I thought I'd go home, but feel O.K. again.
Joke. Listen! I met those people I saw last Sunday (the green hat in Rockfall) while on my way to the train yesterday. Another jest. An opera company will give Aida here Tuesday night.

And say, what do you think? Within the past fifteen minutes, I've caught three big fat bumble bees. As Barnet would say "I skeesed 'em to deaff." It seems as I were in it to be stung. Why, they've nearly got my angora. This phrase appears in the October Philistine in the article on chick raising I believe. But I know how they arrived.

On Monday the Spring Maid plays here, and they must have been the "Three little love bees." However, their days are no more.

I am hopeful of being in New York a couple of days next week to see the great ball games, if I can get tickets.

With kindest greetings for a Happy New Year filled with lots of happiness and health, I am

Sincerely
Joe

The next letter will be October 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment