Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 13, 1913 - As seas of ink I splatter . . .

This letter weaves Joe's work, religious life and his interest in a well known poet, of the time, into  an interesting story. As we are about to observe Columbus Day we can see from his letter that in 1913 it was not a federal holiday. Enjoy the poetry and his mother's words of wisdom.






October 13, 1913
Dear Helen,
    I have just finished up for the day. You see in these country places patriotism is rampant, especially when it means that you are exempt from work. You would actually think 'twere Sunday.

    My reason for writing is this. I wish to thank you and your folks as sincerely as I can for the kind invitation to spend the Yom Kippur services with them and for the generous hospitality accorded me. In my enthusiasm to pass the queen of spades with the ace and King of hearts, I forgot the first principles of a gentlemen and a guest. But who ever accused me of such anyhow?
    Referring to Robert W. Service _ the Poet of the Yukon - who I am reading these days, I can recall one of his verses apropos of my writings.
"I have no doubt at all the Devil grieves, As seas of ink I splatter, Ye gods, forgive my "literary" faults,The other kind don't matter".
    This poet has also been called the Kipling of Canada. He deals with the icy north, where everybody is out for gold and then when they get oodles of it, lay down and die like dogs in their tracks. That's what he meant when he says:
"Yet look you, if I find the stuff it's just like
so much dirt;
I fling it to the four winds like a child.
There's a city, there's an airing (hear them shout)
There's the gold there in millions, but I haven't
got a cent.
And oh, it's me, it's me that found it out".
    When I read those trials and tribulations and their hardships and never ending suffering, I look out of my  window on this cold and bleak October day and thank heaven that I'm alive. His poetry just grips your heart and gives it a slight turn.
    But this is not an essay on Service; at least not intentionally so.
    And a moment ago a friend of mine called me up and asked if I thought he ought to get a copy of The American Bible or "The Message to Garcia." Know what I told him? To use Barnet's words, I said, "get bofe."
    Mother was delighted to hear that I attended Orthodox services. She had a twinkle in her eye as I told it to her, but then I've known her a long time and so can see what she was thinking. Then she said something about once a Jew always etc; and more of that same talk. Bur here is a thought that she has that's a hummer. She says that the English boast that it takes three generations to make a gentlemen. And she adds this corollary. "But it takes a thousand generations to make a Jew. So son, there is a heritage you Jewish young men ought to be thankful for." Some mother, that!
    Well, I started out to thank you for your kind invitation. I had a delightful time. I fear to become too eloquent, thinking of Jerry and the remark Peg made to him. So convey my regards to your folks and save some for yourself.

Sincerely,
Joe

Here is a photograph of Joe's mother Esther Spitz Shapiro. "Some mother, that!"


Below is a photograph of Robert W. Service in 1905 at the age of 31. Quite a dapper man known as the renown poet of the Yukon.



The next letter will be on October 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment