Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 1913 - The political situation here . . .

In this letter Joe gives insight into what was happening in the political arena in Bridgeport, CT as election day was approaching. From his tone about the Republican party vs. the Progressive party it is not much different than politics today.






October 28,1913
Dear Helen,
Here's the blue paper again. It was handy, so I used it.
I have made arrangements to be in New York Friday and Saturday of this week; and I might be induced to stay over Sunday. If I am not mistaken Dr. Wise will speak anent* (concerning; about) political times on Sunday morning.

The political situation here is a cross between a flaming caldron and perdition itself. All the parties are split into factions, and they in turn into classes. For example, I am a Republican. So is my brother. Yet his father-in-law is a Progressive and is on the Progressive ticket. It looks almost like father against son. To liven matters, my sister-in-law was proposed as a candidate for the Board of Education on the Progressive ticket. She was persuaded to decline the nomination for many reasons. On of the strong ones was, that she has two babies and plenty of work, as it is, at home, outside of the Republican affiliation of her hubby. But instead, Mrs. Davis is running for that position. She is the wife of the President of the Locomobile Co. of America.

But, then, you have your school work to do, and I shouldn't take up your time.
So with kindest regards I am
Sincerely
Joe




Here is a portrait of Rabbi Stephen Wise taken between 1920 and 1940.



Above is an example of an auto in 1913 made by the Locomobile Co. of America


The next letter will be on November 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment