Thursday, December 26, 2013

December 26, 1913 - The best laid schemes of mice and men . . .

One year ago I was busy working to set up this blog and excited to launch the beginning of a five year journey with Joe and Helen. These letters have been filled with more surprises that I had expected.

Here is the last letter from 1913. Since most of the letters were written from his office in the Meig's Building I thought it would be fun to show you a photograph of that building at about that time.





December 26, 1913
Dear Helen,

I have several matters to take care of in the city tomorrow that will keep me there; and so will not be in New York.

I have a deposition to take in the city on Monday, but have court engagements all next week except Thursday.

From this you can easily understand I will be unable to get down to New York on Friday or Saturday; and so will have to call off my opportunity of witnessing the musitrel and also "Butterfly".

Things at present point to my going to Charleston S.C. on January 4th; so if I have any spare time, I'll have to use it getting matters in shape to leave for a couple of days.

Saltman is in New York and fairly begged me to go along as he is to be there three or four days; but the fates are "agin it" (Remember Hubbard?).

But doesn't this illustrate quite apropos that

"The best laid schemes of mice and men Gang oft aglee"*?
Some of my Bridgeport friends in New York at present, who were here for diner yesterday, have extended me an invitation to take in the opera next week.

Sometimes you can't get a seat for $10; at other times you can't use them even if given to you. It reminds me that "Some have meat, and we can eat and so the Lord be thank it."**  I have invitations but "can't eat," figuratively speaking only, of course.

I trust that you are enjoying the vacation, and also that your mother is too.
Sincerely,
Joe

* Gang oft aglee - is Scottish for Often go wrong. Quote from a Robert Burns poem (see below).
** Quote from a Robert Burns poem.

I hope you have enjoyed following the blog so far and there is much more to come. Some of the coming year is sparse with letters. I have lots of newspaper articles from 1914 that I will use to fill you in on what was going on in Joe's life. Work was most likely playing a major role as they continued to build their law practice.

The next letter will be on January 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment