Monday, December 2, 2013

December 2, 1913 - One of the weaker sex . . .

So here we are in December 1913,  almost at the end of the first year of Joe's letters. This month there will be three letters. This letter contains a funny story of a handkerchief.








December 2, 1913
My Dear Helen,
Strange what peculiar co-incidences occur. Last night my brother and his family and Dr. Rosen and I went calling on our minister.There were several more callers there and we had quite a party of it. Later in the evening, the hostess served refreshments, and in spite of the violent protests of Barnet's mother, I partook of my share. She claimed that it was not becoming to be stout. I agreed with her; only I added that stoutness while perhaps not becoming, had apparently come and was  here, so what's the use?

Well, as I started out to say, towards evening (11 or so) we were starting for home. I should say here that I happen to be wearing the same suit last night as Saturday. One of the weaker sex asked me what that black string was, and gave one yank. Out came the glasses and the embroidered edge of something I could not recognize. Of course, being in and from the country, they all in unison saw the same thing that I did! For a moment I couldn't tell where it came from; and then - Eureka!

You surely would have laughed at the fun it started. And of course the women and girls began guessing whose it may be. And the answers. O tempora, o mores! But the most surprising thing was how I should happen to have a girl's handkerchief in my pocket.

When I reminded them that perhaps they were overlooking the fact that it might be my mother's; someone suggested it might be; but it wasn't.  And then and there I made up my mind to re mail it to you in the morning.

And when morning came; your letter mentioned the  kerchief. So you will find it enclosed,unsullied. I was sorry to hear that your cold was so troublesome and was causing you such torture. But it's one of the things that this part of the country is famous for and we have all got to have them once and a while. There is a Yiddish play in town tonight, and I have been asked to review it for one of the papers. My brother, Doctor and I will go and see what's what and I imagine we'll have some sport out of it, at that.

Oh yes! One of my clients  told me yesterday that he, with  several others, were expecting to hear "Tosca" Saturday night because Farrar and Scotti sang the title roles, and asked whether I would be there with them. I replied that I expected to be in New York during the day on business, and had made no definite plans; and also that I had seen Tosca only a few weeks back. Comprenez? (Whatever that is).
Sincerely
Joe

The next letter will be on December 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment