Tuesday, December 24, 2013

December 24, 1913 - Salvation Army bells ringing away, autos honking . . .

It is Christmas Eve in 1913 and Joe's description of the evening sounds in downtown Bridgeport are still very familiar today. Helen and her family had headed out of New York City to the country in New Jersey for the holiday.





December 24, 1913
Dear Helen,
Replying to your third letter, I must say that the anniversary dinner planned for Sunday was called off very abruptly.

When I called home Saturday night, I found my mother all upset, with the appearance of having had a good cry. My sister was in the same mood. Of course, as it was about two in the morning it didn't require much ingenuity to learn or suspect something.

What do you suppose happened? On Friday Barnet's kindergarten had Xmas exercises. He took part and somehow caught cold. On Saturday, while I was absent, it developed into tonsillitis, and during the evening they thought it looked like diphtheria and so all the folks were scared.

D. Rosen worked all night on him and by morning had the throat clean and free from infection; but we didn't dare start anything in the house. That was one reason the affair was called off. Here's another. Mrs. Kronholtz of Stamford was confined to her bed with a severe attack of pleurisy, and naturally her family couldn't get away. Since then Barnet and she have been recovering and are well along the road to normal health.

Last Monday I had "dug out" my old Othello and read it. I remembered having seen Daniel Ryan in the title role and at the time made many marks and remarks on the booklet; that recalled many vivid scenes again as I saw them.

I smiled at the difficulties that you wrote.

And now, as I write this, I can hear the Salvation Army bells ringing away, autos honking, cars clanging, newsies yelling "Wextry*" and a conglomeration of noises that would make Bedlam sound like a lecture in a deaf and dumb institute.

You speak of rain. Why last night it rained cats and dogs! I didn't leave the office till after eleven and had to phone a friend to take me home in his auto.

I don't wonder that you enjoyed the play. Forbes Robertson naturally is the peer in that line, and besides you had excellent company that made the environments all the more pleasant.

I am almost certain that nothing had to distract your attention during the play; for I consider Robert a dandy young man whom anybody could spend a pleasant time. Hartman is another of that type, so I don't wonder that on Sunday you again had a bully time.

You said that Robert was to spend a week end with you; so I think I ought not butt in. And in addition you say that there will not be room at the hotel. Further even, I have a load of work here that will keep me right on the job.

You ought to make the best of your vacation, as you have a long spring term of work ahead.

Tomorrow is Christmas and the spirit of good will ought be manifest everywhere.

I hope that the day is bright and that you enjoy it to your own wishes.

With compliments of the season I am
Sincerely,
Joe

* "Wextry" was Joe's way of trying to sound like the newies when they yelled Extra Extra


 The next letter is on December 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment