Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 23, 1916 - Back among your hill, lake and trees.

Here is a note that Joe wrote after briefly seeing Helen in New York before she left for camp again.




Wednesday
Dear Helen,

Just about now you should be arriving in Wingdale, preparatory to Fording up to the Camp, back among your hills, lake, and trees.

Yesterday afternoon, in spite of the heat, was a dandy one, for I knew that when I would have completed my task, it would leave me in New York, and you were there too.

And your remark about your fairy waiving her mystic wand and producing some one suddenly, certainly came as though that fairy must have heard you, but the mysticism was suddenly disappeared, and 8:30 I was all alone. It reminded me of the movies, where a fellow smokes, looks into the fireplace and sees the outlines of a familiar face, and suddenly realizes it was only a mirage. Those are the things dreams are made of, but from Wingdale Howard's observations, little dreaming can be done with Bridgeport Joe or rather Shelton Joe in the scene. Nest ce pas? Is that spelled properly?

But I guess your fairy - whoever she is - likes to tease quite a bit, else why, just the one day you are in New York, and it so happens that I am fortunate enough of being there, does it so happen that you are to be out at that time. Yet I know you made a "step in the Right" direction. I was almost tempted to go to "Turn to the Right" myself, but discretion is the better part of valor. Oh yes, I missed the train; so while waiting saw "Seven Chances." Of course I came late, and partially enjoyed it, but, - oh well, it's near 11:30 a.m. and I have a hearing to attend in a few minutes, and must get my papers together.

Your,
Joe

The link above to the play which Joe was speaking of  is to the movie version taken from the play. The play is linked here. The same thing with the play that Joe saw "Seven Chances" the link is to the movie made from the play. The play link is here.

Just a note here I believe this is when Joe started to sign Your, Joe instead of Sincerely, Joe. Something is shifting here.

The next letter is August 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment