Wednesday, August 17, 2016

August 17, 1916 - I sneezed my cabeza off yesterday

Mid August and Helen is still up at camp. Looks like Joe is planning to visit.



August 17, 1916

Helen dear,
Here's a chance for you to laugh and grow fat. Somewhere, somehow, I've caught a beastly cold. Can you beat it? I sneezed my cabeza off yesterday., and am thinking of getting under the care of an expert plumber. "How I came by it, or whence it came"  like Antonio of old, I know not. But different from him I am not a bit sad; for what is a little cold more or less.

I started looking - just for the sake of knowing - how the trains leave Saturday, but the 3:20 looks like the one best bet. The earlier ones get away too early, or else take too long.

I am somewhat curious to know what Butz was thinking of Sunday, but since you say you know, I'd probably be told if it concerned me, n'est-ce pas.

This morning I read a terrible article by Seniss about cats. What he doesn't say about them cannot be imagined. And a good deal of it is true. Isn't it strange that in my old age I should feel obliged to soften my feelings for the cat tribe? Still as we grow older, we naturally change our ideas on many subjects. Experience and information that we must naturally acquire i our social and professional dealings open new avenues for thought. What will the poor critters do when the organized effort of the Ornithological Society that has started out to license cats or do away with 'em, gets in its real work? Since they have nine lives, suppose they use one for worrying. "Hang worry, care will kill a cat." Sounds more like an essay for an old maid's home, doesn't it?

Sincerely,
Joe

The next letter will be August 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment