Monday, April 25, 2016

April 25, 1916 - Among the blind, the one eyed man is King

As the letters start to come more often Joe's work also intensifies. He likes to keep Helen abreast of all that goes on in his life.





Tuesday noon
Dear Helen,
Though I intended to write yesterday, matters shaped themselves so that it was impossible to get at it. The Shelton Court kept me busy till 12:30 noon and promptly leaving, on my arrival here I found witnesses in the office for a case to be tried at 2. I skipped lunch to save time thinking that I’d finish about 3 or so and then could have a bite, and prepare for my address in the Episcopal Church at night. Well, the case lasted till 5 o’clock, it took about a half hour for me to don evening clothes and make the Derby train, and it was 8 o’clock before I knew it, and no supper. Well the address to me was fine. It was enthusiastically received; the Hubbard, Wise, Emerson and a few others should share the honors. Still, you know, among the blind, the one eyed man is King. I thought of this because a client with one mazda burned out just came in with a damage claim against a factory for the loss of his tungsten. I must have reduced ten pounds; but nobody loves a fat man.
Sincerely,
Joe

The next letter is April 26

No comments:

Post a Comment