Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 6, 1916 - The 7:41 A.M. out of Bridgeport arriving Grand Central 9:16 A.M.

Here is the first of three letters that Joe wrote in April 1916. The thing that struck me about the letter was that he wrote about the train times and that is the same travel time today from Bridgeport, CT to Grand Central Station in NYC.

April 6,1916.

Dear Helen:
I don't know whether to explain now that this is to be a short letter, or just pass it and let you see for yourself.

Your letter this morning said that it contained a funny poem, but you've probably got that poem still on your desk. And so far as the briefs are concerned, I can see now that they will act as very proficient remedies for insomnia. Of course, they could be made more entertaining if Goldberg or Hershfield illustrated them; but I'm afraid our clients wouldn't see the joke, if a decision was handed down against them.

I'll look through the New York papers tonight to read about the French play, and in advance I can imagine it must have been a success.
The 7:41 A.M. Saturday out of Bridgeport looks likely now, arriving at Grand Central about 9:16, and if it's on time, shouldn’t be more than a few minutes late, as a friend of mine would say.

I had a good laugh. Williamson just informed me that he became tired of waiting for me to go, so he went and has already returned from the south. What do you think of that? Ish K. Abibble.
Sincerely,


Apparently he did not sign this letter.

The next letter is April 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment