Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2, 1914 - Hit a storm at nightfall . . .

July 1914 was filled with postcard correspondence from Joe. He traveled on business and perhaps pleasure and it appears that Helen was in Far Rockaway for most of July. Below you will see a spread from Helen's datebook from July when they left for Far Rockaway, a getaway for New York City dwellers.

Joe sent postcards when he could from his business and holiday journeys. The first being Block Island, Rhode Island.




7/2/14 No mail will reach me for at least ten days.
Am off to Rhode Island & yesterday sailed for 17 hours. We hit a storm at nightfall and were buffeted around. During the day I was taught to steer and was at the wheel from 3:30 P.M. to 9 P.M. and finally had to seek refuge in this lake.
Joe

Helen's Datebook from 1914

Here is the datebook of Helen's from 1914. Since this is the first time I am posting from this I am including the cover and the inside front page. I will periodically post pages throughout the rest of the year where informative. Whenever I come across Helen's writing I am happy that I am transcribing Joe's letters.



You can see that Joe and Helen had a date on Saturday June 28th. I can not make out the writing but I see that it is n quotes so they must have gone to theater.


New Yorkers flee to Far Rockaway


This is a postcard that I found online of the street that they stayed on.  From what I can surmise Grand View Ave. does not exist anymore.

The next postcard will be on July 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment