Sunday, June 11, 2017

June 11, 1917 - "What is so rare as a day in June?"

Well this is the last letter that I have from Joe to Helen before the big day. Photos and other paraphernalia to follow. I have just come across the original copper plates from their wedding invitation. See below. It is a bit hard to read so I have included the information on the plate under the photographs.




Mr and Mrs John H Rosenstein
announce the marriage of their daughter
Helen
to
on Tuesday, the nineteenth of June
One thousand, nine hundred and seventeen
at Five forty-five West One Hundred Eleventh Street
in the City of New York




June 11,1917.

My dear:

I have received a letter from Cook’s giving a tentative itinerary for the trip, covering hotels and travel for two weeks. It is simply splendid, and I am keeping it to check it up with Charles, after which I'll send it to you for your approval, though it has already met that, because it carries out all of your ideas to the letter-perhaps the function of the sign-as Ruskin said.

I am about to go to Hartford, and hope to be able to get back at a reasonable hour, to get a little sleep, and then to New Haven in the morning to start a case to the Jury, which I am to defend, in which the defendant is sued for about ten thousand dollars. That will perhaps take the day, and if Wednesday is clear, then I'll get to New York that day; otherwise I'll male it Thursday; but will let you know in the meantime.

I have had a feeling all day to sneak down to the depot and start for New York, but discretion is the better part of and thought this about where I should be today.
Then again, I have felt all along like picking up the receiver and putting in a call for New York Morningside something or other.
Well, girlie, the train will start pretty soon, and it is wiser that I get going towards the depot, without much delay.

I think that this is letter number two to-day, and if the opportunity appears again, maybe number three will appear; but I doubt it.

I hope that-you-are feeling well, and enjoying this miser­able June weather; which reminds me very much of the poet’s quest­ion "What is so rare as a day in June?"
Notice the machine got excited and skipped a space.

Oh yes, I tried a case this afternoon, and received a decision right off the bat in favor of my client. My what a choppy letter, nest ce pas?

Your
Joe

Stay tuned for miscellaneous posts. This is the end of the formal letters that Joe wrote Helen before they got married.

1 comment: