Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6, 1916 - At work preparing a Brief

Joe is just keeping Helen up on the daily news in his life, with a few funny lines here and there. He also mentions The Fra in reference to  his earlier letter. You have now seen the article that he is referring to.


July 6,1916.
Helen dear:
I meant to write several times since Tuesday (old stuff) but the holiday in the middle of the week tied things up so that it was impossible to do so just when the occasion arrived. Most of the week, I have been traveling around various towns in matters, and returning very late, would be so tired that I would promise to write in the morning, and then the same thing happened.
I was very glad to hear that you are planning to go away, and more so that you intend to be in New York this week. However, if in the meantime, your plans change just drop me a line to that effect; otherwise I will assume that you will remain in the big City this week, as you intimated.   My present idea is to be in New York Saturday afternoon; but it's a little too early for me to know, because my brother has not definitely decided just when he would leave for the country that day, so that if he goes early, I must re­main, otherwise I could get away,
Your long letter was a dandy, really good enough to go into The Fra, if some of the stuff they publish can get by so easily. And if as you say, it was written in a hurry, while you were being rushed, I can imagine what it would be like if you had plenty of time,
I suppose you will smile if I tell you that the subway was tied up the other evening so that train time passed, and I gave it up as a bad job to get the train; but somehow we were late in pulling out, due to the soldier trains etc. and I made connections, getting here on time after all.

There isn't much in this letter, I know, hut all day I have been at work preparing a Brief, and believe me that word is the shortest thing about it. So far it contains some seventy-five pages, and it’s about fifteen or twenty from the end; unless some new ideas arrive in the meantime. Besides for the past several weeks I have found it necessary to read several hundred oases to get sufficient material to prepare it; and after writing all day, I am all talked out, as it were. That's why women are such a success at the profession; they never could get into that position. Of course, some women.
The doctor has a new "showfur" and it's up to me to show him around here, to get him acquainted with the local atmosphere. So to-night we'll take a fifty mile ride out to see the kidlets, and listen to them sing "Madcap Marjorie”; oh no we won’t, they'll be asleep by then.
I had an appointment at 7:45 to-night, and it's that now, so must hurry to be on time.
Sincerely.
Joe

The next letter is July 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment