Saturday, March 5, 2016

March 5, 1916 - If I were founding a new religion its first commandment would be "You shalt be cheerful".

This is the first letter that Joe addresses Helen as "My dear Helen". I assume, an interesting this indicates a turn of events in their friendship.




Sunday morning

My dear Helen,

Promptly upon arriving this morning, I went to the office,  to meet with the chairmen of the various committees, and as no one has as yet appeared, take advantage of the few moments to write - as per request.

The train was not crowded, and was but slightly delayed, yet it afforded the early risers an excellent opportunity to get a little of that stuff that *"knits the raveled sleeve of care". And you may be certain that it required no crooning melody non mandragora (without narcotic) to co-operate. One rather stout man in front of me - surely must have been a lumberman - for he was sawing some delightful patterns in hickory, and every time he struck a "knot", both he and I awoke. Had my memory been keen I might have thought that "Macbeth doth murder sleep".

Speaking of Macbeth, enclosed is a clipping reviewing the story a la Billy Sunday or Mr. Dooley.
Also enclosed is a clipping from the Sunday paper, and if you look real carefully you might discover a familiar map.

Haven't had breakfast , but when dinner arrives, turkey will be thrown for a great loss.
Barnet - who has been indisposed for some time - expects - as I have just heard on the phone - to go to Sunday School this morning. And I am going to make the men put on high, open mufflers and get through so that I may be able to take him. Sunday School is a good place for me today.

Several have just arrived and by the time their coats are off, I may not be able to complete this and get it off today. Isn't the writing unusually choppy and unfamiliar?

In **The Fra, which lies before me, as it usually does, I noticed as I looked up, "cheerfulness is more precious than great riches". If I were founding a new religion its first commandment would be "You shalt be cheerful". But we need no new commandments. The famous ten breathe that spirit. So, as a closing word, it might not be amiss just to say, as dear old Hubbard used to, "Radiate happiness".

Sincerely,
Joe

* Macbeth Act 2 Scene 2
 ** The Fra a magazine written by Elbert Hubbard

The next letter will be on March 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment