Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16, 1913 - Love What Crimes are Committed in your Name

When I scanned the envelope from this letter I noticed that there was still something inside of it. There folded, just as it was when Joe put it in the envelope 100 years ago, was a newspaper clipping with cartoons on one side and jokes on the other. Since newsprint does not survive the test of time well it had broken into eight pieces. With the help of Photoshop and patience I digitally glued it back together.Below the letter and transcription I have included the clippings for your amusement.



Dear Helen,
I just saw the enclosed clipping in one of the papers and thought it might interest you or Pauline.
Saltman went to New York this afternoon, I was told, and will return tomorrow. I wonder whether "Les Miserables"* will have a hearing (to speak legally).
It seems that the weather man has the blues, else why should we have to unpack our furs and flannels and prepare for a threatened snow storm in June. Verily, saith the poet "what is so rare as a day in June?" I would say - two days or to-day.
Our lodge meets tonight, and so as Secretary I must hustle along.
Sincerely,
Joe
* "Les Miserables": I researched this and found that it was performed in New York City in 1913 as mentioned in the letter. This version of Les Miserable 1913 was directed by Albert Capellani.

The next letter will on June 20 and it is a long strange one.

No comments:

Post a Comment