Sunday, March 17, 2013

March 17, 1913 - St. Patrick's Day

Here is the first letter from March 1913. Reading it I remind myself that Joe was 27 and was writing Helen who was 19 and I try to imagine how this letter was received by her and her family.


St. Patrick's Day
1913
Dear Helen,
A few moments ago I was again startled when told that a friend of mine announced her engagement in New York last Saturday or Sunday. And what do you think, it was none other than the girl I told you that you would be glad to get acquainted with. What do you think of it? All I can say is "O tempora, O mores!"*
What I wanted to say is this. My friend Williamson who has the hair with the "copperish tint" informed me today that the "Old Dominion Line" boat sailed on Wednesday at 3 P.M. and he had made all arrangements for that time.
Inasmuch as I will be in Hartford tomorrow (if I live, or in a warmer place otherwise) and have a stockholder's meeting to attend here tomorrow night, I will not be able to leave for New York till Wednesday 10 or 11 A.M. with just about enough time to get a bite and make the boat.
I verily believe that Mr. Saltman will go down to New York to see me "off". Isn't that bully?**
I suggested taking the steamer that leaves a day or so later, but my friend can't see it that way; and in fact had the tickets and stateroom or whatever you call it, engaged (there is the word again) in advance. He wants to get south as soon as possible and says that only for my previous engagement appointment in Hartford he would have gone midoudt*** (Sam Bernard) me. As Mr. Dooley would say "Kompranny voo?"****
Sincerely,
Joseph G. Shapiro

*This is the most famous sentence of Cicero during his first Oration against Catiline. The meaning of this phrase is, "Oh what a time, Oh what customs"
**"'Bully!' was one of T.R.’s favorite phrases, used to convey the meaning of “good” or “well done” with enthusiastic approval in similar fashion to the colloquial use of the terms “awesome”  or “terrific” today."
***midoudt his funny way of saying "without"
****"Kompranny voo?  means Comprenez-vous? Even at the beginning of their relationship he loved to tease her about the French language that Helen loved.

The next correspondence will be on March 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment